Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thanks for the Joy

So, I'm watching this PBS special on the music of the '70s, where they bring out all the old fossils and get them to perform their greatest hits...and most of it's really just good, cheesy fun (Gary Wright doing Dream Weaver, Leo Sayer doing When I Need You, Taste of Honey doing Boogie Oogie Oogie, etc.).

But then Dobie Gray comes out and does Drift Away.

I swear, it almost made me cry. His voice is still so incredible, and he's just this genuine, classy, amazing presence on stage. I can't even describe his performance. It just moved me beyond words.

Here's the clip (god I love youtube).

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger erik hogstrom said...

I also adore "Drift Away."
Actually, if I play it when my daughters are around, they will sing it for days afterward. *THAT* is the sign of a song with true staying power.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

greetings, I'm trying to locate music from whitey gomez. I loved those guys. Saw them open for the Old 97's at GAMH. That song lucky is awesome. Can you do a post on them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home